Computer related links…
- The World’s #1 Free Storage Operating System FreeNAS is an operating system that can be installed on virtually any hardware platform to share data over a network using the ZFS open source file system, RAID controller, and volume manager.
- Lake Kivu’s Great Gas Gamble In a first-of-its-kind endeavor, electricity-starved Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo are trying to get power from a lake—and avert catastrophe.
- Lake Nyos – Deadliest lake in the world suffocated over 1,746 people in one night “I could not speak. I became unconscious. I could not open my mouth because then I smelled something terrible … ” words of Joseph Nkwain, who on August 21, 1986, survived one of the strangest natural disasters in history.
- Mapping the Mercantilist World Economy Long before Europe ventured across the world’s oceans in the 15th-16th century it was already enmeshed in long-distance trade
- ELECTRIC VEHICLES – IT’S NOT JUST ABOUT THE CAR The coming shift to electric, digitally-connected vehicles will have dramatic implications for the car industry.
- Manhood for Amateurs: The Wilderness of Childhood – But the primary reason for this curtailing of adventure, this closing off of Wilderness, is the increased anxiety we all feel over the abduction of children by strangers; we fear the wolves in the Wilderness.
- WHY CITIES KEEP GROWING, CORPORATIONS AND PEOPLE ALWAYS DIE, AND LIFE GETS FASTER
- In praise of Dewey He knew how to protect democracy – not by rote and rules but by growing independent-minded kids. Let us not forget it